Using a 4-shaft loom (at least 24" wide) and 8/2 cotton yarn, Dorothy will guide participants through making six Halvdrall towels. Halvdrall is a block weave technique that requires four shafts to create two blocks in a pattern. It uses a single warp and two wefts, one of which weaves plain weave and the other is a supplemental weft that creates the pattern.
This class will be five hybrid sessions; participants can join via Zoom, in-person, or a mix of both. Participants can rent a four shaft loom from Cowgirl Yarn. Note: For the towel exchange session (the final session), out of town participants will need to mail five of their six towels to Cowgirl Yarn.
In the first session, Dorothy will discuss the Halvdrall technique and review warping in the Fernwood Studio. Participants will prepare their warp and dress their looms. Students are expected to warp their looms independently.
In the second session, one week after the warping review and Halvdrall introduction, participants will show their warped looms, ask questions and request clarifications before starting the project.
In the third session, participants will show their progress on their six towels and have a question and answer session with Dorothy as well as some troubleshooting advice.
During the fourth session, come prepared with all of your last questions on how to finish the towels and Dorothy will demonstrate how to finish them.
In the final session, participants will bring their finished projects with them to exchange five of their six towels with their fellow participants at the Fernwood Studio to celebrate the completion of this project with wine and snacks. Note: Out of town participants will need to mail five of their six towels to Cowgirl Yarn to participate in the exchange.
Space in this class is limited to six, independent weaving students. If the class fills up before you're able to register, please contact the store, and we'll add you to the wait list.
Pre-requisites: This class is intended for the advanced weaver who can warp their loom with some review of techniques in the first session. A device capable of Zoom, including working speakers, microphone, and web cam is required for participating remotely. 4-shaft looms are available to rent from Cowgirl Yarn. This is a MAJOR time commitment to weave six towels in this amount of time! So please plan accordingly!
Homework: Set time aside in your calendar to weave regularly to complete this project on time!
Instructor: Dorothy T.
Cost: $200, 10% off class supplies.
- At least 4 cones of different colors of Maysville 8/2 Cotton
- Participants need a 4-shaft loom at least 24" wide. Cowgirl Yarn will have 4-shaft floor looms available to rent.
Zoom capable device, including working microphone, speakers, and web camera if you will be zooming into class.
- This is a MAJOR time commitment to weave six towels in this amount of time! So please plan accordingly!
Wednesday, October 5th 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm Warping board session
- Wednesday, October 12th 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Show off your warped loom
Wednesday, November 9th 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Check in and Q/A
Wednesday, December 7th 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm How to finish towels
- Wednesday, December 14th, 5:00 - 6:00pm towel exchange and celebration
- This class is intended for the advanced weaver who can warp their loom with some review of techniques in the first session.
- Please set aside time in your calendar to weave six towels in this amount of time!
- Please read our Class Terms and Conditions and provide a phone number and email when checking out, so we can contact you if needed should a last-minute issue arise.