Join Alison Doherty for the "My First Mitten" three session class that will teach you the anatomy of a mitten and all you need to know to create your first pair of basic mittens!
This class will teach participants how to increase in a pattern using the M1 stitches, how to make a thumb gusset, and how to pick up stitches to make a thumb on a mitten. You will also learn how to do the ssk (slip-slip-knit) stitch and k2tog (knit two together) stitch to decrease the top of your mitten and finish your project. Participants will be expected to practice their skills while making their second mitten to complete the pair.
Prerequisites: Participants need to know how to do the long-tail cast on, how to knit and purl, how to make ribbing for the cuff (see Homework section), how to make the stockinette stitch, how to decrease in a pattern. These are all skills taught in our Begin to Knit 101, 102, and 103 classes!
Homework Prior to Class on October 25th: Participants are required to come to class with the cuff of their mitten completed prior to the start of class. Class instruction will start with making the thumb gussets. The pattern will be emailed to registered participants after checkout. Please contact email@example.com if you do not receive a follow-up registration email with the pattern.
Homework Prior to Class on November 1st: Participants are required to complete their thumb gusset prior to the second class on 11/1/22.
Homework Prior to Class on November 8th: Participants are required to complete the top of the mitten, leaving only the thumb to pick up and finish during class on 11/8/22.
Cost: $90; class supplies are discounted 10%.
- Tuesday, October 25th from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm.
- Tuesday, November 1st from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm.
- Tuesday, November 8th from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm.
- This class is designed for someone who is an intermediate beginner knitter.
- Masks are optional unless CDC guidelines change.
- Please read our Class Terms and Conditions and provide a phone number and email when checking out, so we can contact you if needed should a last-minute issue arise.