Knit this cozy, deeply cuffed cap for him. It’s handsome worn turned up for traditional sailor style, but we love it uncuffed and slouchy, too. Worked in a heavy worsted-weight yarn, this cap is a quick knit, which is great because you’re bound to be asked for more.
The ribbed cuff is nice and deep so you can fold it a long way up without the wrong side of the stockinette stitch crown showing. The three-part top decreases add a crisp detail. Rowan Felted Tweed Aran, with its rustic good looks and blend of wool, alpaca and viscose, knits up into a warm, cozy cap that drapes beautifully and wears well. Style and yarn combine into the perfect accessory for him or her! Bet you won’t make just one!
One size: To fit 20–23"/51–58cm head. Approx. 18"/46cm around ribbing, not stretched.
2 skeins Rowan Felted Tweed Aran (95 yds/87m each) or approx. 190 yds/174m of an equivalent heavy worsted-weight yarn.
Needles & Notions:
- US 8 (5mm) 16"/40cm circular and double-point needles, or size to obtain gauge.
- US 7 (4.5mm) 16"/40cm circular, or one size smaller than gauge needle.
- 3 stitch markers (1 in a different color to designate beginning of round).
- Darning needle to finish.
- This is a physical pattern.
- This cap is designed to fit a wide range of head sizes (from 20 to 23") with the ribbing stretched out to fit snuggly where folded. But if you’d like to make a larger or smaller cap, just increase or decrease your cast-on number by a multiple of 4 stitches (for the ribbing rounds) and adjust your count on the first stockinette round to a multiple of 3 (for the decrease rounds).
- The samples shown here are photographed in Color 728 Dusty (on him) and Color 734 Mahogany (on her).