Inspired by a ready-to-wear Italian cashmere cap, we engineered our hand-knit version to be sleek and utterly seamless. The super-fine fabric is doubled at the cuff with a tiny joining welt for extra warmth, and that cool welt could be popped with a fun, contrast color. Okay, the needles are tiny and the details a little fussy, but it’s worth it—we think!
We selected two of Shibui’s yummiest yarns—Pebble for the tweedy look and that beyond soft feel, and Cima for its lovely glow and smooth drape. Each fiber creates a truly fabulous hat, but why stop there? Kit is on her fifth and thinking of more!
Approx. 19"/48cm around x 10"/25 cm long; fits 20-23"/51-58cm head.
Approx. 365 yds/334m of lace-weight yarn (includes approx. 15 yds/14m for welt). Note: Choose a yarn that has a little woolly structure and soft drape. Plus 5 yds/m smooth fingering-weight waste yarn for provisional cast-on.
Needles & Notions:
- US 1 (2.25mm) 16"/40cm circular and 5 double-point needles, or size to get gauge.
- US 0 (2mm) 16"/40cm circular needle or one size smaller than gauge needle.
- US C/2 (2.75cm) crochet hook and 1 locking marker for provisional cast-on.
- 4 very fine stitch markers (one in a contrast color) to mark decreases without creating gaps (knotted loops of fine yarn work nicely).
- Darning needle to finish.
- This is a physical pattern.
- For confidence that your knitted project will turn out the right size, it is important to swatch your yarn and block it before diving into the project. Your stitch gauge is important for fit; your row gauge will affect the length. You can also assess whether you like the feel of the fabric.