In handsome, dense, double moss stitch, this cozy outerwear classic is a little retro, a little "Audrey." Three-quarter length sleeves and a folded, stand-up collar give it a slightly tailored finish. Dropped shoulders and straight sleeves allow room for comfy layering. The universally flattering length brings to mind the favorite duffle to pea coat. A sturdy, chunky-weight yarn, like Rowan Cocoon, creates a robust Coat with a fantastic texture.
Sizes: S (M, L, XL).
Finished bust: 39 (45, 51, 57)"/99 (114.5, 129.5, 144.5)cm.
To fit bust: 28–32 (34–38, 40–44, 46–50)"/71–81 (86–97, 102–112, 117–127)cm with approx. 7–11"/18–28cm of ease.
Without pockets: Approx. 1460 (1630, 1825, 2045) yds/1335 (1490, 1669, 1870)m chunky-weight yarn.
To add pockets: Add approx. 65 (80, 85, 95) yds/59 (73, 78, 87)m more.
To lengthen or shorten: Add or subtract approx.30 (35, 40, 45) yds/27 (32, 37, 41)m of yarn for each 1"/2.5cm of body length; approx. 26 yds/24m total for sleeves.
Needles & Notions:
- US 9 (5.5mm) needles, or size to get gauge.
- US 8 (5mm) circular needle, or one size smaller than gauge needle.
- US 11 (8mm) needles, or two sizes larger than gauge needle for binding off sleeves.
- US 4 (3.5mm) circular needle for picking up pocket stitches.
- US H/8 (5mm) crochet hook for provisional cast-on.
- 5 yds/m smooth worsted-weight yarn or knotting cord for provisional cast-on and ‘lifelines’.
- 6 locking markers.
- 6 stitch markers.
- 2 stitch holders.
- Darning needle to finish.
- Six 1–1 1/4"/25–32mm buttons.
- Six smaller backing buttons
- Fine darning needle (to fit buttonholes).
- This is a physical pattern.
- Don’t skip the swatching on this one. You’ll want a firm fabric to successfully achieve the tailored look of this coat. Note your gauge before blocking as well, so you can reference it while working.
- Coat is worked in pieces and seamed using mattress stitch. Due to its density and size, we recommend that you block each piece individually as you finish before seaming. Although you’ll need to allow plenty of time for finishing, the techniques and details are what makes this coat so beautiful!