Knit in a tightly spun traditional 5-ply Guernsey yarn, this all-weather cap is handsome on men and women alike. The eight-part decrease rounds create a flat circular top, while a firm gauge keeps the gansey-textured crown band standing at attention for pillbox styling. Or you can pull it down low over your ears like a beanie when the wind comes up!
We love the tradition and history of ganseys—warm, durable, yet supple garments knit with 5-ply Guernsey wool, originally developed to protect seafarers from the cold and sea spray. Family patterns were developed from the original and handed down from generation to generation. We’ve provided two traditional gansey pattern charts here, but you can also create your own using this pattern, and share it with family and friends. Start a new tradition!
Medium adult: Approx. 22"/56cm around.
1 skein Frangipani 5-Ply Guernsey (240 yds/220m) or approx. 200 yds/183m of an equivalent 5-ply Guernsey yarn or approx. 400 yds/366m of a light fingering-weight sock yarn held double.
Needles & Notions:
- US 2 (2.75mm) 16"/40cm circular and double-points, or size to obtain gauge. Note: We recommend metal needles for strength as this is a vigorous knit!
- 8 locking stitch markers (1 in a different color to designate beginning of round).
- Darning needle to finish.
- 7½"/19cm diameter plate or circle of heavy cardboard for blocking.
- This is a physical pattern.